The first inhabitants of Stauber Farm were related to the Moravians who in the 18th century came from Pennsylvania to establish a community within the large tract they had named “Wachovia”. Stauber Farm’s early history is closely associated with the villages of Bethabara, Bethania and Old Salem.
The farm was settled originally by the Conrad family and later rebuilt by Samuel Benjamin Stauber in 1852. In the 1930’s the Tucker family purchased the farm, consisting then of approximately 70 acres. Carefully restoring the old buildings and adding the necessary modern comforts, they saved the farm at a critical time as it became their family retreat. The Tucker family provided for its maintenance for more than fifty years. Since the mid 1980s, Stauber Farm has served as both a retreat and home to the current owners, Charles Taft and his wife, Lamar. Having completed several restoration projects during the last twenty years, they enjoy gardening and raising heritage breed farm animals – particularly St. Croix sheep and Delaware chickens. The Tafts also have great interest in keeping the forests and streams intact and the “farmscape” open for pasture. It is a pleasure for them to share with others the garden, the animals and the historic pastoral setting.
Quoting the nomination to the National Register of Historic Places, “The Samuel B. Stauber Farm is significant in the history of Forsyth County, North Carolina, because it is one of the finest remaining representatives of a prosperous mid-19th century farmstead, complete with contemporary buildings and a high degree of integrity of setting.” Named a Local Landmark of Forsyth County, and the recipient of community recognition for its appearance and for its Champion Big Trees, the farm has been for many years a favorite place for retreats and celebrations.
From a newspaper article dated January 26, 1893, and given to the Tafts by a descendant of Samuel Stauber: “The nuptials of Dr. S. S. Flint, of Rural Hall, to Miss Sallie Stauber, of Bethania, were celebrated in grand style … By eleven o’clock that pretty country home was alive with jollity and merriment of gathering guests who came from far and near…”